Account Login/Registration

Access KamloopsBCNow using your Facebook account, or by entering your information below.




Privacy Policy

BC truck thief foiled by owner following resilient chase

Investigators in Victoria are looking for information following a very dangerous theft of a vehicle on Thursday.

According to police, just before 8 am, officers were called to the 900 block of Green Street after a man had his truck stolen. The victim reported that he was on his way to work when he forgot an item. After returning to his house and leaving his keys in the vehicle, a thief made off with the truck.

The victim quickly spotted two Victoria Police Department volunteer Reserve Constables who were on foot and got their assistance. The Reserves called in the stolen truck and officers arrived to take a victim's report.

While officers searched for the truck, the victim and his friend decided to look around as well. A short time later, the victim spotted the truck in the 800 block of Mason Street.

After approaching the vehicle and talking to a man standing outside of it, another suspect approached the scene. When the victim went to speak to the second suspect, the man re-entered the truck and began to drive away.

Not wanting to let his vehicle get away, the victim chased down the truck and grabbed the back of it. After being dragged for several blocks, the victim was able to pull himself into the bed of the truck.

"The suspect began to drive the truck erratically, potentially in an effort to dislodge the victim from the truck bed," wrote VPD. "The victim called out to passersby for help, while his partner followed behind. Several people called 911 as the vehicle was driven through downtown, at one point reportedly down a sidewalk and at another point against traffic on Bay Street."

"The suspect then fled from the vehicle at the intersection of Bay and Blanshard streets. The victim was able to climb from the bed into the cab of the vehicle and bring it to a stop. He then chased down the suspect, who was held with the assistance of passersby, until officers arrived and took the suspect into custody."

Thankfully, no one was injured during the incident. The situation is still under investigation.

Visit our Facebook page to comment on this story.

Sign up for local eNews delivered to your inbox by 7 am every day.

Send your comments, news tips, letter to the editor, photos and videos to [email protected].

To report a typo, send an email to [email protected].







Top Stories

Follow Us

Follow us on Instagram Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook Follow us on Linkedin